Thursday, January 6, 2011

Being Here

It was early to bed, early to rise on our first day at Kijabe. Dad was off to rounds and I finished unpacking.  The hospital meets for a chapel service at 8AM on Wednesday and so that seemed like a wonderful way to begin our service here.  I arrived a bit early and found a seat. Soon after a very petite Kenyan woman asked us to join her in singing “How Great Thou Art”...first in English and then in Swahili. She may be petite, but she has a powerful voice and was a terrific song leader. What a moving way to begin the day. 
Dad went back to work and I returned to the apartment to meet my new neighbor, Rose Matlack from Salt Lake City Utah who took me on a partial tour of the grounds.  I have heard that Kijabe is one of the largest and oldest (100 years)  mission stations in the world and I think that it is true. It is home to the AIC(African Inland Church) – Cure Hospital, the Bethany Children’s Hospital, the Moffet Bible College, the Rift Valley Academy, and maybe other organizations that I have not yet discovered.    More on all of these organizations and their history as the blog continues.  Rose also introduced me to the “dukas” or local shops where I can purchase most basics. They are quite a contrast to the Nukamutt in Nairobi!  We also shopped at the local farmers market and I was pleasantly surprised at the array of good produce available.  Of course it will all have to be “bleached” and thoroughly washed before eaten or cooked, but  really there is no  reason not to be on Weight Watchers in Kenya!:).
Last night the Matlocks invited us across the hall for dinner which we thoroughly enjoyed.  We were supposed to go about 5:30 but Dad did not get home from work until 7PM.  I am concerned that his work days are going to be long and arduous, but hopefully fulfilling.  He is already spending a great deal of his time with the interns  which is what he enjoys most of all.   I am still (only been here one day!) trying to find my niche here and would ask your prayers that I find that sooner rather than later!  I think that it is going to be more difficult here than at Tenwek because it is a bigger place.  I also have to realize that each experience will be different, but rich in its own way.      
One observation which we have already noticed in contrast to Tenwek is that there are many more Moslems seeking treatment here.  They  appear to be refugees from Somalia as they are tall and stately.  I am certain that we will learn more about this as time passes and will tell you about it.
Love to all,
Mom and Dad, Nana and Poppy, Micki and Marv


No comments:

Post a Comment