Thursday, January 20, 2011

Good Morning America

Another beautiful day in Kenya!   I am sitting by the large front window in our living room and watching everyone walk to work, primarily to the hospital.   Africa is a walking nation.   Everywhere you look people are walking.   Here in Kijabe walking is not easy, especially for older people.  The “roads” are rocky and uneven.   Finally, after 2 weeks we are not quite as winded as we were upon arrival.

Yesterday, we began the morning by going to the Hospital Chapel service. The singing is always a highlight!    Africans know how to raise the roof!  Presbyterians could certainly take a lesson from them!   After chapel I went to the pediatric ward to find the chaplain, Mercy.   I followed her around the ward as she brought the good news to the moms and patients.   It is not easy to see these little ones suffering and to see the tired moms who share the same beds with them.  I pray that they can soon find out why there is so much hydrocephalus and spina bifida here as well as club feet.  We usually pray in each ward and often sing some of the old standbys which are universal.   I have a Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy down in my heart, WHERE?”...is a favorite!   One mom asked to know more about Jesus and accepted Him as her Lord and Savior yesterday.  We read scripture with her and prayed.   Mercy will get her a Bible in her own language and visit her again, and try to find a church community for her as she returns to her village or town.  I could not help but keep thinking about Jesus words, “Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not for of such is the kingdom of Heaven”.  Thankfully these families have found hope amidst their present suffering on earth.

Mid morning I went over to the school to read with the 5th graders.   I have now listened to all of them read and it has been fun.   Each one is so unique in personality and ability.  I have always respected teachers, but I have a new found respect after this experience as I again see how they try to meet the many varying needs of their students.   Not easy!  Most of the boys are reading science fiction which is foreign to me but they love it!  In one of the books a character was going to appear on the Oprah show.   My student looked at me and said, what is the Oprah show?  He had no idea. (He is American.)   I am so impressed with how they love to read and how often they read!  It certainly brings home the fact that without the distraction of TV kids read!   So turn off the TV American parents!

In the afternoon I went to visit the nursery at the hospital. It is so much smaller than the one at Tenwek.  They did have more modern isolettes though.  I have given some of the knitted hats made by the ladies of First Presbyterian to a missionary who is serving in Maasiland and will give the others to a driver who will bring them to Tenwek as the need there is much greater.   Dad’s work here has involved more gyn surgery than OB as well. We aren’t exactly sure why, but that is what makes each experience different.    Dad has really enjoyed the teaching here as the interns are eager to learn!

After dinner it was such fun to meet four Australian Occupational therapy students who are spending a month here. Of course I bragged about my PT daughter and OT daughter in law!  They were saying that the PT here does everything and that they have learned a great deal!    In Australia they see a lot of CP, and stroke patients.   Here they have had to learn about club feet and spina bifida, but they feel that it has been a very positive experience. They were delightful!

Our bed time has gotten earlier and earlier!  We often go to sleep around 9 PM although I read in bed with my Kindle which I love, love, love!  But we are up early and the day is very full, so I guess we need our sleep!
Love to you all until the next blog!
Mom and Dad, Nana and Poppy, Micki and Marv

No comments:

Post a Comment